Recipe & Photo Credit: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fresh-pea-soup-with-ham
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small fennel bulb—thick stalk discarded, bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 quart whole milk
- 4 cups fresh or frozen peas (1 pound), thawed
- 1/2 cup diced smoked ham hock (from one 11-ounce ham hock) or smoky ham
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Pea tendrils or baby arugula, for garnish
How to Make It
In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the fennel, onion and garlic and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are tender but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the milk and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the peas and simmer until tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Strain it through a fine sieve set over a large bowl. Season with salt.
In a small bowl, combine the ham with the shallot, chives, olive oil and sherry vinegar. Spoon the ham salad into the center of 4 bowls. Ladle the warm soup into the bowls, garnish with the pea tendrils and serve immediately.
Recipe and Photo credit: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20096/cheesy-ham-and-hash-brown-casserole/?prop24=hn_slide2_Cheesy-Ham-and-Hash-Brown-Casserole&evt19=1
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes
- 8 ounces cooked, diced ham
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix hash browns, ham, cream of potato soup, sour cream, and Cheddar cheese. Spread evenly into prepared dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly brown. Serve immediately.