The always wonderful Kiran Tarun shares her delectable recipe for a Breakfast Oatmeal Cake!
Makes an 8 inch square cake
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1.5 cups of buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For maple glaze:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Soak rolled oats with buttermilk for an hour. Once soaked, prepare cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitter with a paddle, beat eggs on medium for a minute. Drizzle in sugars and beat to combine. Add coconut oil and vanilla extract. Beat just until combined.
- Sift dry ingredients in a bowl. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients and soaked oats. Beat until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add batter into lined cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until tooth-pick inserted in the center, comes out clean.
- Using the parchment paper, lift cake out of the cake pan and allow to completely cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cake cools, combine glaze ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle all over to your hearts content.