Give this recipe for the award-winning Spiced Peach-Carrot Bread a try! Published by Southern Living.
This spiced peach-carrot bread recipe won first place in the side-dish category in South Carolina’s 2009 Annual Peach-Off contest.
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped fresh, ripe peaches
- 3/4 cup freshly grated carrots
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool 15 minutes.
- Stir together flour and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl; add peaches, next 4 ingredients, and toasted pecans, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).