These tasty burger alternatives would be great as an appetizer, lunch or entree. Try them at your next BBQ!
What you’ll need:
For the burgers
- 1 lb ground beef
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (Use 1 pepper + sauce, and up to 3 + sauce if you like spicy food)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
For the “buns”
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of each for seasoning: paprika, garlic powder
- hefty pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Tablespoon of oil, for drizzling on potatoes
What you’ll need to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix in the chipotle peppers and sauce, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cilantro with the beef.
- Form small, thin patties, about one inch in diameter and set aside while you prepare the sweet potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes about a 1/2 inch thick and spread on a cookie sheet. Drizzle oil on both sides of the potatoes and season with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes until soft. If you like it crispier, broil them on high for 2-3 minutes after baking.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the burgers: Drizzle about a teaspoon of oil on a large skillet and allow it to fully heat before adding the meat. Cook the burgers on medium-high for 3 minutes on each side.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and assemble!
Recipe from Brittany Angell