Shrimp Toast is a great appetizer for any summer gathering!
Serves 8 to 10
What you’ll need:
Sweet Chile Sauce
- 2/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot chile sauce (Sambal)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 3 1/2 tbs. water)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon hot chile sauce (Sambal)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 inch triangles
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
What you’ll nee to do:
1. For sweet chile sauce: Place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer until sugar dissolves, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chile sauce and cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil. Once mixture has come to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool (sauce will thicken as it cools).
2. For shrimp toast: Place ginger and garlic in a food processor and pulse 6 times.
3. Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining Shrimp Paste ingredients. Pulse an additional 8 to 10 times or until you have a paste consistency that still has some texture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread 2 teaspoons of mixture onto each triangle of bread and set aside.
5. Pour oil into a heavy-bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat.
6. Carefully place triangles of bread (in batches) shrimp-side down and fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Flip triangles over and fry for an additional 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm with sweet chile sauce.
For step by step pictures click here.
Lots of ingredients, but well worth the effort!