Offer your guests a healthy alternative to potato chips at your next gathering and premake a batch of Eggplant Chips with a zesty Cilantro Pesto dip.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, packed
- 1/3 cup cashews, un-roasted and unsalted
- 2 cloves garlic, skin removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil + 3 tbsp
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 4 Japanese eggplants, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- extra salt and pepper to taste
What you’ll need to do:
- Combine the cilantro, cashews and 2 cloves of garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Stream in 1/2 cup olive oil while the food processor is on, making sure to scrape down the sides once fully incorporated. Add the Asiago cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper and combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed and set aside.
- Slice the eggplants into 1/3 inch thick rounds and lay onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the salt over the eggplant and let sit for about an hour.
- Using a paper towel, blot off the salt and water and place back onto parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, paprika and garlic salt in a small bowl. Using a small brush, brush the olive oil mixture onto both sides of the eggplant.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on the eggplant as you don’t want to let it burn.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with finishing salt and serve immediately with the Cashew Cilantro Pesto Dipping Sauce.
Recipe & picture from What’s Gasby Cooking