Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers with Cabbage Apple Slaw
Makes 8 servings
What you’ll need:
- 2 pound(s) ground white-meat chicken
- 1 cup(s) whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 medium (about 1 1/3 cups) onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalk(s) celery, finely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoon(s) sesame oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) miso paste
- 3 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar
- 2 cup(s) shredded cabbage (purple and/or white)
- 2 crisp, sweet red apples, (such as Braeburn), quartered and thinly sliced
- 8 sesame buns, split
- Cooking spray
What you’ll need to do:
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, breadcrumbs, 2/3 cup onion, celery, egg whites, and 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Season with 2 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Shape into 8 equal (about 5 1/2 ounces each) patties. Place patties between squares of waxed paper and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine miso paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar. Equally divide miso glaze into 2 bowls (1 for grilling and 1 for drizzling on slaw). Set both aside.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine cabbage, apples, and remaining onion, sesame oil, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium. Grill buns, split side down, until warmed, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Coat grill with cooking spray and grill burgers, about 6 minutes per side. Brush burgers with miso glaze from the first bowl, flip, and grill for 1 1/2 minutes more. Repeat for other side. Place burgers on bottom buns; then layer with slaw, a drizzle of miso glaze from the second bowl, and top buns.
Recipe and picture from Country Living.